Wednesday 26 August 2015

Story #1 - Nobody understands art


"Mom, where are Dad's shoelaces?" Tina said, looking at her father's shoes. "Does he do this often?"
"No. I don't know what's going on. But you know your father. When he gets a crazy idea, he picks up what he can from the house to make it alive."
"I guess so. Like that time he broke all the plates to make an art piece."
"Don't remind me," Rachel smiled as she shook her head in disapproval, then placed one of the six grocery bags on the floor, by the stairs. "Well, come on, stop looking at them. Let's put our shopping in the kitchen. I'm hungry."
"Yeah, okay. My hands are hurting, you know?"
"Good thing we have a car, and that you're in the house, so you can bring them one by one."
"I'll go check on Dad after this."
"Make sure you don't disturb him much."
Tina moved the bags, one by one, briskly, as only a twelve year old with plenty of energy for other things can. Her mom took out the roast and was in the process of lighting the oven when she ran upstairs.
Her pace quickened, passing each door in the blink of an eye, until the curious girl reached the study. A big red door lied in front of her. It had several stickers on it, among which were "Do not disturb when this door is closed" and "If you hear any noises, don't call the cops. Thanks." However, her favorite one was "I know you're always looking at this door, angel. One day, you can work inside and be what I can't." She grabbed the handle and turned it.
"Mom! Come quick. Mom!"
Rachel was tempering with the heat when her daughter yelled, and she almost burned her hand inside the oven. "Oh, that child. One of these days I'll send her somewhere. Just need to figure out where."
Blowing on her hand, she walked up the stairs. Midway through, she saw her daughter looking livid in front of her husband's door. "What did you do now, Tom?" She whispered to herself.
"Mom..." Tina turned around revealing her red and sweaty face.
Rachel froze, then ran.
When she reached the door, she placed her hands on her hips. "Tom, why did you do that for?"
"Because I wanted to bind them together. And there was nothing else I could take," he said with a scowl on his face, directed mostly at his daughter. "You know what I do, she knows what I do. I don't see the big problem."
"The problem is, you idiot, that she grew up with them since she was two, and now you just decided to take her three teddy bears and bind them together with your stupid shoelaces. Tying them is one thing, but popping open their eyes and ears is another. Look at her. She's all upset now. She probably won't talk to you for a while. Then stay in her room, and who knows what else. I hope you're proud."
"Rachel, if I can bring that kind of emotion into her, then I can do the same to my future fans."
"Maybe your future fans can feed you today. And tomorrow." She slammed the door and grabbed her daughter's hand. "Don't worry, darling. It'll all be fine."

No comments:

Post a Comment