Friday 2 October 2015

Story #38 - Marriage mischief


"Come on, we've got a train to catch."
"We have time..."
"You said that an hour ago. You don't even have your bags packed. Heck. You're not even dressed."
"We have plenty of time. When's the train supposed to arrive?"
"In twenty."
"How long does it take us to get there?"
"Five."
"Five."
"Packing, getting into clothes, getting out of the house and making sure you don't forget something..."
"You still haven't done that? Boy, you're lazy. Instead of berating me for an hour, you could've done just that and we would've been outta here much sooner."
"Are you telling me that this is my fault?"
"Duh."
"Are you joking right now?"
"When is the train coming?"
"Eighteen."
"Better get a move along."
"And you?"
"Don't worry about me. Just let me know when there are ten left."

"There are ten left."
"Great."
He shut off the TV, stood up, grabbed his jeans, his t-shirt.
"Nine."
He grabbed his rucksack from behind the sofa. It was already made.
"Eight."
"I'm ready. Come on."
"Seven."
"Well? I'm at the door. What are you doing?"
"Counting the time."
"I don't have time for this. Come on already."
"Six."
"Fine. Stay here for all I care. I'm going. Bye."
He closed the door. Footsteps could be heard going down the stairs.
She looked at the table.
"He took the tickets, but I forgot to tell him that they're for tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment